Environmental & Sustainability Policy
Why this policy matters
Our CoCEO’s have a lifelong commitment and a shared value set to environmental sustainability. Emma Fletcher is a current Climate Reality Ambassador and has completed Al Gore’s Climate Change Training. Emily Jenke is the SA Native Vegetation Council Presiding Member and for the last 10 years has served as a member on the SA Murray Darling Natural Resources Management Board & continues to volunteer in water planning initiatives at a Murray Darling Basin scale.
democracyCo recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. We will encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
Both CEO’s Emma Fletcher and Emily Jenke are responsible for ensuring that the environmental policy is implemented – for our business it is a policy which is elevated to the top. All employees and our subcontractors have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We endeavour to:
- Model best practice environmental sustainability to ourselves, our clients, our community and our families.
- Comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- Increase employee awareness and training.
Being in Nature
We value and love nature. We believe in the benefits of green and blue space.
- We spend time in nature everyday (as much as possible with our families), recognising how good it is for our wellbeing and our health.
- Everytime we work in a venue, we aim to set it up so participants spend most of their time looking out windows and not screens.
- Where possible we encourage groups that we work with to deliberate while walking outside, or simply being in nature.
Waste & Repair
We are conscious of our waste, and aim to use less & fix more
- We minimise the use of paper in our homes and our offices.
- We use keep-cups and carry them with us at all times. If we don’t have our keep-cup to hand, we don’t drink our coffee.
- We reduce packaging as much as possible and recycle as much as we can.
- We are proud members of the fixing economy – choosing to repair, over purchasing new.
- We seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products for all events we host.
- We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible including all workshop materials.
- Workshop materials, with good craft application, get donated to our children’s schools and kindergartens.
- For events we are managing we prefer caters that use washable reusable crockery, cutlery and glass wear. Where this is not possible we seek caters that use recycled and or compostable materials.
- We use online tools as part of our engagement processes regularly in lieu of post-it notes, markers, pens. blutack & and butchers paper to reduce waste.
Energy and water
We know that reducing energy and water consumption is good for us, as well as the planet.
- We seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- Lights, IT and other electrical equipment are switched off when not in use.
- Heating and cooling are adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products, especially IT, is taken into account when purchasing.
We run our offices lean.
- We constantly evaluate if the need can be met in another way.
- We evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- We favour environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
- We recycle printer cartridges and batteries.
- We reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
Working all over Australia & Internationally means that we leave a footprint.
- We seek to minimise our travel by using skype and online or teleconference tools to connect with clients where ever possible and appropriate.
- We promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We offset all flights, under carbon initiatives.
We expect everyone to play their part.
- We do not work with clients who show wilful neglect of the environment.
- We expect our clients to comply with legal environmental standards and prefer them to be exemplars in this space.
We lend our skills to environmental and climate initiatives as much as we can.
- We support climate action initiatives, by presenting as speakers at opportunities as they arise.
- We attend community events which support environmental action.
- We model environmental sustainability to our children, understanding that the next generation will be key players in ensuring environmental good.
- We devote lots of our precious time to holding roles on environmental Boards, committees and groups and never question the time this takes us away from our business.
Monitoring and improvement
We know we are not perfect, but we want to improve.
- We comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- We continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- We continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- We incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- We increase employee awareness through training.
- We review this policy and any related business issues at our monthly management meetings.
- We involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We update this policy annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.